Garlands are lovely, home-made cards are fab, but this year for Valentines day we decided we wanted to bring something a bit different to the table – literally. We came up with a DIY valentines themed place setting made from air dry clay, which takes minutes to whip up, and can be used for a romantic meal for two, or a huge gathering of friends and family.
You Will Need:
A doily, length of lace, or other textured fabric
A rolling pin
A heart shaped cutter
A contrasting length of narrow ribbon
A press stud fixture
A sewing machine, or needle and thread
1. Start by rolling your clay out to a thickness of roughly 1cm.
2. Place your doily, lace or textured material over the top of the clay, and gently roll over it with the rolling pin.
3. Lift the material off of the clay, then cut out the heart shapes – you’ll need one per place setting.
4. Leave them somewhere to dry, according to the packet instructions. It is possible to dry them out more quickly by putting them in the oven – we gave ours about an hour on the lowest setting.
5. Once the hearts are dry, cut a piece of each ribbon, and glue together with a small amount of fabric glue. Stitch the ends over to neaten the edges, and then attach the press stud fastening.
6. Put a small amount of strong glue onto the back of your heart, and press down on the top of your loop of fabric ribbon. The press stud fastening should be in the centre on the bottom.
7. Once you’ve finished the other place settings, leave to dry and then lay your valentines table; wrap the fabric loops around the napkins and fasten with the press stud, add some flowers and light plenty of candles. Happy Valentines Day!