Here at StickyTiger, we like to celebrate the fact that absolutely anyone can have a go at making things, crafting and working on homemade projects, which is why it was important that our gift tutorials were as simple as possible, but as effective as possible. Today, we’re going to be showing you how to make a felt tablet case, which requires almost no sewing, and will be finished within the afternoon.
You Will Need:
Sheets of coloured felt that are big enough to wrap around your tablet, with an overlap for the closing flap
Contrasting or complementary coloured felt for the details
Ribbon to keep the case closed
One popper fastening
A sewing machine or needle and thread
1. Choose the felt colour you want to use for the main body of the case, and then lay it out on a flat surface. Place your tablet on top, and work out how much of a gap you need either side to be able to slide it in and out easily.
2. Pin where your seams are going to be, and then trim off the excess fabric at the end. The best thing about using felt, apart from the fact that it’ll cushion the tablet, is that you don’t need to allow for seams as it doesn’t fray. Hurrah!
3. Sew up the sides, and then finish off by oversewing the last stitch.
4. Now you need to add the detail to the flap; we chose to do a simple stripe, but you could do a chevron piece, scallops, diamonds…. the list is endless. Cut it out and pin it in place.
5. Choose your ribbon that’s going to be used to keep the case closed, and measure a piece that’s long enough to wrap around the tablet once, and then finish on the reverse. Cut the length off, and then tuck it under your felt stripe.
6. Stitch the stripe and ribbon in place, then oversew the ends and finish off. Trim off any excess felt at the ends to create a neat finish.
7. Fold the end of the ribbon over by about 1cm, and iron in place. Sew or glue the top half of the popper onto the underneath, then wind the ribbon around the tablet, and mark where the other half of the popper should go, before gluing or stitching it in place.